What are culturally and linguistically diverse students?
A culturally and linguistically diverse student is an individual who comes from a home environment where a language other than English is spoken and whose cultural values and background may differ from the mainstream culture.
How can we prepare teachers to work with culturally diverse students and their families?
I would encourage teachers working with culturally diverse families to use ethnographic methods. Attending community gatherings and traditional events is one way to do this. Teachers might follow the ethnographic strategy of participant observation.
Why is it important to have cultural diversity?
Cultural diversity is important because our country, workplaces, and schools increasingly consist of various cultural, racial, and ethnic groups. As people from diverse cultures contribute language skills, new ways of thinking, new knowledge, and different experiences.
How do you teach a culturally diverse classroom?
Cultural Diversity in the Classroom
- Learn about your own culture.
- Learn about your students’ culture.
- Understand your students’ linguistic traits.
- Use this knowledge to inform your teaching.
- Use multicultural books and materials to foster cross-cultural understanding.
- Know about your students’ home and school relationships.
How do you introduce a culture in the classroom?
Exploring Cultures in Your Classroom: Fun Activities to Try
- Say Hello. I like to begin every morning with a multicultural greeting to my students.
- Travel around the World. Make daily use of a globe or flat map to help your class realize how big the world is.
- Indulge in Different Cuisines.
- Make Diverse Art.
What are the ways in addressing cultural differences?
Below are some tips on how to manage cultural differences in the workplace.
- 1 – Teamwork. It is important to have an open mind towards the new culture, embrace teamwork activities and sharing of tasks rather than focus on individual differences.
- 2 – Model the right behaviour.
- 3 – Awareness.
- 4 – Communication.